It's not unusual for a ProAdvisor to end up with duplicate customers in QuickBooks Online, and if those duplicates are active in QuickBooks Online, they will both be sent to Aero in the initial sync.
Here's how you can fix your duplicates and make sure that the correct QuickBooks Online client is syncing with Aero.
Aero syncs with Your Books, not your QuickBooks Online Accountant client list
The first step in this process is to make sure that you know which list Aero is seeing.
Aero syncs with your customers in Your Books (note: if you've been a ProAdvisor for a while, you might have your firm's books in a different QuickBooks Online company, not Your Books - then Aero will sync with that QuickBooks Online company). Note that having the word "(Deleted)" after a customer in QuickBooks Online does not mean it's inactive. If it shows on your customer list, it's active. In QuickBooks Online inactive customers are hidden by default.
Fix your duplicates in QuickBooks Online first
Your QuickBooks Online Accountant account has a process built-in for merging duplicate clients. Here's how to do it.
Match the active QuickBooks Online Customer to its counterpart in Aero
Unfortunately, the Merged, active customer you are left with in QuickBooks Online may not match up with the customer in Aero with all the Aeros and Vault Entries. Here's how to figure out which of the duplicates in Aero matches up with the merged customer in QuickBooks Online.
- In QuickBooks Online, edit the customer name to include something like "QuickBooks Online" or even just an asterisk. Make sure that the 'Display name as' drop-down shows the edited name.
- Repeat steps 2-4 until you have identified and edited all of your merged customers.
Fix the duplicates in Aero
- Go to Admin > Manage Integrations and click the Sync QuickBooks Now button.
- Go to the Manage Companies screen and find the first pair of duplicates.
- Click the view button for the company that isn't the one you want to keep.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Edit Company screen. Click on each of the company information tabs to and see what has been assigned to this company in Aero. You'll want to edit any information on these tabs to transfer them to the Company you want to keep.
- You can transfer Aeros and Master Aeros by editing them one at a time or using the Batch Update Aeros process.
- Contacts need to be edited one at a time to transfer them. They are really only a concern if the wrong company is the default company for a contact. Click the View button for a contact to see the default company and edit it if necessary.
- Projects need to be edited one at a time to transfer them to the correct company.
- Team Members need to be added to the company you want to keep (if needed).
- Vault entries need to be copied and pasted to the vault for the company you want to keep.
- Once you have all the Aeros and information transferred to the correct company, uncheck the Active box for the company you want to get rid of.
- You can edit the name of the Company you're keeping back to its original name. The change will automatically be updated in QuickBooks Online as well.
- Repeat steps 3-12 until you have resolved all your duplicates.