It's not unusual to find yourself with duplicate companies in QuickBooks Online, and if those duplicates are active in QuickBooks Online, they will both be sent to Aero in the initial sync. Here's how you can fix your duplicates and make sure that the correct QuickBooks Online client is syncing with Aero.
Aero syncs with Your Books, not your QuickBooks Online Accountant client list
The first step in this process is to make sure that you know which list Aero is seeing.
QuickBooks Online Accountant does not have an open API so Aero cannot sync with your QuickBooks Online Accountant client list. Aero syncs with your customers in Your Books (note: if you've been a ProAdvisor for a while, you might have your firm's books in a different QuickBooks Online company, not Your Books - then Aero will sync with that QuickBooks Online company).
Find your duplicates in QuickBooks Online first
You need to determine which of the duplicate companies you want to keep in QuickBooks Online.
- Click on Sales on the left navigation bar and then click on Customers
- Once a customer has been made inactive (deleted) in QuickBooks Online, it is hidden from the Aero sync and Intuit doesn't pass any more information about it to Aero – including the fact that it was deactivated. So you need to make sure you see all your customers in QuickBooks Online. Click on the 'Little Gear' icon above your customer list and choose 'Include inactive'
- Find your first set of duplicates and determine which one is the customer you want to keep in QuickBooks Online.
- Edit that customer name to include something like "Yes" or "Keep". Make sure that the 'Display name as' drop-down shows the edited name.
- Repeat steps 2-4 until you have identified and edited all of your duplicates.
Fix the duplicates in Aero
- Go to Admin > Manage QuickBooks and click the Sync Now button.
- Go to the Manage Companies screen and find the first pair of duplicates.
- Click the view button for the company that isn't the one you want to keep.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Edit Company screen. Click on each of the company information tabs to and see what has been assigned to this company in Aero. You'll want to edit any information on these tabs to transfer them to the Company you want to keep.
- You can transfer Aeros and Master Aeros by editing them one at a time or using the Batch Update Aeros process.
- You can transfer time entries one at a time or by using the Batch Update Time process.
- Contacts need to be edited one at a time to transfer them. They are really only a concern if the wrong company is the default company for a contact. Click the View button for a contact to see the default company and edit it if necessary.
- Projects need to be edited one at a time to transfer them to the correct company.
- Team Members need to be added to the company you want to keep (if needed).
- Vault entries need to be copied and pasted to the vault for the company you want to keep.
- Once you have all the Aeros and information transferred to the correct company, uncheck the Active box for the company you want to get rid of. If the company is not already inactive in QuickBooks Online, it will automatically be deactivated in QuickBooks Online as well.
- You can edit the name of the Company you're keeping back to its original name. The change will automatically be updated in QuickBooks Online as well.
- Repeat steps 3-12 until you have resolved all your duplicates.